That is what most dictionaries say. And what that means based on what each individual believes will determine what in their photographic life is essential.
For the fun of it I am including a small poll to see what you feel is essential.
I’ll get right down to specifics about what I use:
- If I carry 1 body, 3 primes and one 18-55 zoom, cable release, extension tubes, 4 batteries, extra memory cards (2), Custom Slr strap, Spider Light Belt Holster, Nissin i40 flash. I use a Billingham Hadley Pro shoulder bag (cross chest). It is quite weather proof like my cameras and lenses.
- If I carry 1 body, 3 primes, 3 batteries, cable release, lens cleaner, Nissin i40 flash, extra memory cards, cable release, cell phone I use a ThinkTank Urban Approach 10 (weather resistant and rain cover) shoulder bag (cross chest)
- If I carry 1 body, 3 primes, 2 batteries, 2 memory cards, small Fuji Mini Flash EF-X20, lens cleaner I use a waist pack called CosySpeed Streetomatic +. This bag is adjustable up to 50 inches and can be warn around the waist with it resting on a hip. It can also be used cross chest as well. It is weather resistant and comes with a rain cover.
It has taken me too many years to determine what is essential for me. Every time I think I have figured it out I wind up still going back to old habits and taking with too much gear, most of which does not get used. That was then and this is now. And now after 74 years of weight bearing shoulders and back containers for carrying gear I know I have it licked.
The Cosyspeed Streetomatic + (plus) is the Goldilocks solution. I is not too big, to small. It is just right for a comfortable day out with the bare essentials I need for taking photographs all day long.
This is what I actually get in this bag.
- Fuji X pro 2 with a 35mm 2.0 prime lens with lens hood mounted and an L bracket attached to the bottom of the camera for tripod mounting. Please note that in a picture below I show the Cosyspeed finger strap attached. It comes with the Cosyspeed bag and is a very secure way to have your camera in hand.
- Fuji 50mm 2.0 with bayonet hood
- Fuji 23mm 2.0 with bayonet hood
- 2 Fuji (OEM) batteries
- 2 Extra Memory Cards
- 1 iphone 6 +
- 1 small flash in a case added to the belt of the waist pack
- 1 lens cleaning cloth
There are days when I may only take the 18-55 zoom with hood extended. But usually it is my 3 primes. Two of my primes are attached to back to back rear lens caps that I glued together for portability and efficiency.